After a week....well one post and several comments...of blogging I have found myself looking forward to using this blog as away to express myself. I have had a lot of ideas pop into my head about what to write about this week.
I decided to talk about the need to use blogs more as a collaborative tool. This week I found myself deperately trying to find an online game for my students to practice subjects and predicates. The curriculum that we use teaches the students to look for the whole subject and predicate. However, I couldn't find games that fit that description. Eventually, with the help of a coworker I was able to find a site.
I know that there are blogs out there for teachers to share ideas. We have even discussed some of them in class as well as Diggo. However, until today I never really thought I would be one that would be interested in actively using a blog or being a frequent blogger.
I did a quick search to see what type of blogs I could find. I found the Top 20 Teacher Blogs created by Scholastic. I thought that this is a great place to start. http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3752562
They are separated by subject or discipline. For example there is a great blog directed towards special education or an Inner City Blog. I still haven't found one directed towards Language Arts but I think this is a great place to start.
Brittany
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteThis is great resource. I had so much fun looking at some of the blogs. I particularly loved the regurgitated alpha bits blog, where the teacher told funny stories about her daily experiences. It was such a hilarious and interesting blog to read. I also really liked the blog by Mrs. Mimi (the pseudonym) where the author discusses some of the not so pleasantries about teaching. This resource goes to show you how many uses blogging can have and also shows how many different voices and styles there are.
Brittany-
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that resource- it is a great one and will definitely be useful. I think blogs for teachers sharing ideas is a really wonderful use for a blog. There are MANY blogs out there for kindergarten or primary grade teachers who share their experiences and ideas in the classroom. Many even post worksheets for lessons that they have done. However, I can imagine that upper grade teachers may not be doing the same thing. Hopefully that will change in the future, because teachers helping teachers is really a key thing in keeping ideas fresh and new.
I loved the Best Laugh Out Loud Blog. It was really funny. It is amazing how many funny things we as teachers encounter. Each year I say I am going to write down all the funny things the kids say and do and publish it. After looking at some of these blogs, I thought that instead of putting them into a book, I could still write them down and could do it in a blog. That would be cool! Since the beginning of this class, I have come across a few Kindergarten blogs that I will continue to visit. Keep looking because I am sure there is one out there for Language Arts. The more teachers share with others, the more we will be able to learn. I agree with Heidi, this is how things are kept new and fresh! Thanks for sharing the site with us!
ReplyDeleteJen,
ReplyDeleteI say the same thing. The blog is a great way to get those funny things children do and say out there. A book will hopefully make some money. ;)
Brittany